Mount Rushmore National Memorial is located in Keystone, South Dakota. It is surrounded by the lands of the Black Hills National Forest. This national forest is 125 miles long and 65 miles wide. Open grassland parks, flowing streams and lakes, jutting rock formations, unique caves worth exploring, bold canyons, and gulches have long attracted visitors' interest. It offers a unique experience year-round for outdoor adventures, sightseeing, and opportunities to soak up the history that surrounds the area.
Mount Rushmore National Memorial symbolizes the ideals of freedom and democracy; it is a tribute to four presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln and their invaluable contributions to the founding, expansion, preservation, and unification of the United States.
The construction of Mount Rushmore took 14 years and over 400 men. 90% of the mountain was carved with dynamite and more than 450,000 tons of rock was removed.
Each year, more than 3 million visitors from all over the world come to visit our nation’s Shrine of Democracy.
Why Choose Mount Rushmore National Memorial?
From necessities like employee meal plans to fun activities like planned trips and tours, there are many benefits to working at Mount Rushmore National Memorial.
Read the full list of employee perks here.
and Meal Plans
Learning and Development
A Sense of Community
Live at Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Housing is dormitory-style living with 2 residents per room.
- Housing cost is $66.48 per employee and is payroll deducted biweekly
- Cost per meal is $4.59 and is not payroll deducted
- Rooms include twin size beds, night stands, private bathroom, and secure closets.
- Laundry facilities, common area, and a small fitness room are available.
- Shuttle service to and from work is provided during peak season.
- Must be 18 or over to live in dormitory.
- No pets, alcohol, or smoking allowed inside dorm.
- If traveling with a friend or significant other, please indicate on your application that you are applying together.
- The Employee Dining Room (EDR) serves cafeteria-style meals that include a hot entree and side dishes, sandwiches, salads, fruits, cereals, and beverages.
- Vegetarian options are available at each meal; however, the EDR staff are not able to accommodate all dietary needs such as vegan or allergy-related restrictions.
Explore Mount Rushmore National Memorial
As an employee, you will have the opportunity to stroll the Avenue of Flags with flags representing 56 states and territories lining the walkway and view the memorial against the evening sky each night during the evening sculpture lighting ceremony (May through September). A sense of awe will come over you as you come to work every day realizing where you live, work, and explore!
Part-Time Helping Hands
Part-Time Helping Hands is a program that allows you to work part time and lend a “Helping Hand”. This program provides you the opportunity to work part-time and assist us with opening up or closing down for the season.
Helping Hand Requirements
- You are available during these dates for the following season:
- Fall Dates: August 30 - October 30, 2022
- It’s expected that employee’s will work 18-24 hours per week. This is different from all other jobs here in Mt Rushmore and is intended to help us get through our Spring/Fall season, as many college and international students not available during these periods.
- Based on working 18-24 per week, the cost of housing deducted from your paycheck every two weeks would be: $60 per week for meals & lodging.
- The jobs you are expected to do will be Retail Associate or Food & Beverage Attendant. You will work between 6-8 hours per day, 3 days per week, depending on the business need.
Team Member Stories
What is your favorite part of working at Mount Rushmore?
“I have several favorite parts in working at Mt Rushmore. The people I work with, seeing the faces on the Memorial each day, interacting with the public, never knowing what we will be doing each day, the sunrises over the Eastern Plains, and the wildlife. I never get tired of that.”
Join Our Talent Community
Adventures are out there. Still searching for the perfect job for you?
Stay informed about new opportunities by joining our talent community